NOTE: This ‘game’ has grown organically over the years as various teachers have made observations & contributions (I don’t claim sole authorship).
The Life Game is my favourite ‘getting to know you’ type activity because it:
- requires few resources
- is easy to set up
- is based on students’ real experiences
- is actually interesting
- is genuinely ‘bonding’ & establishes a nice class atmosphere
- gives me a good idea of the students’ speaking level/ability to communicate
- gives me a good idea of the students’ interests
- with adjustments can be made to work with any level post beginner.
- works well with one-to-one classes as well as larger groups.
- can last anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 1/2 hours with pre & post activities.
I’ve recently been working with a non-native English speaking English teacher from Spain on a home stay English refresher course. She’s taught English to adults for many years in a language college but in September will be teaching High School students. Like most of us who’ve become comfortable with a certain age group, she’s feeling some trepidation. We had a lot of conversations about teaching teenagers.