I began teaching adult literacy in Sussex in 1996 before qualifying as an EFL (English as a Foreign Language) teacher in 1997. Since then I’ve lived and worked in the Czech Republic, Italy and Indonesia, as well as working in several language schools in the UK.
My daughter was born in 2006. Through her I have developed an interest in first language acquisition and a greater appreciation of the challenges involved in literacy teaching.
I moved with my daughter to Hove in 2009 to study at the University of Sussex and set up Brighton English Teaching in February 2013. I love the variety of work I am given as an EFL teacher, editor and proofreader – writing copy for people’s websites, editing academic papers and proofreading student essays on a wide range of subjects. And I love the freedom I have to work with English Language Learners on a one-to-one basis, creating materials and planning courses to meet individual needs.
In 2017 I closed down Brighton English Teaching and set up Tailor-Made Teaching in Oxford as we moved again. Now we have the exciting opportunity to host up to two students at a time at our home in Oxford.
- CELTA (Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) (St. Giles, London)
- DELTA (Cambridge Diploma in English Language Teaching to Adults) (The Bell School, Saffron Walden)
- BSc. in English Language (The Open University)
- MA in Applied Linguistics (University of Sussex)
- 27 years teaching experience
- The first meeting to discuss your needs and evaluate your ability is free.
- Classes from £20 per 45 minute class.
- English as a foreign language proofreading and editing prices start from £20 per hour / 1,000 words.
- There is a 10% discount for booking a series of five classes in advance.
- Travel to your home or workplace may incur extra transport costs.
- There may be an existing class at your level and interest which you can join – contact me to find out about current classes.
- You will be asked to pay a deposit when booking classes, otherwise fees are payable at the end of each class.